Thursday, November 20, 2008

The Deepest Thing I Know

"The word of the LORD came to Jeremiah a second time, while he was still shut up in the court of the guard: "Thus says the LORD who made the earth, the LORD who formed it to establish it—the LORD is his name: Call to me and I will answer you, and will tell you great and hidden things that you have not known. For thus says the LORD, the God of Israel, concerning the houses of this city and the houses of the kings of Judah that were torn down to make a defense against the siege mounds and against the sword: They are coming in to fight against the Chaldeans and to fill them with the dead bodies of men whom I shall strike down in my anger and my wrath, for I have hidden my face from this city because of all their evil. Behold, I will bring to it health and healing, and I will heal them and reveal to them abundance of prosperity and security. I will restore the fortunes of Judah and the fortunes of Israel, and rebuild them as they were at first. I will cleanse them from all the guilt of their sin against me, and I will forgive all the guilt of their sin and rebellion against me. And this city shall be to me a name of joy, a praise and a glory before all the nations of the earth who shall hear of all the good that I do for them. They shall fear and tremble because of all the good and all the prosperity I provide for it."
-Jeremiah 33:1-9, ESV

There has been a lot on my mind the past two weeks. Perhaps more than is usually on my mind. I have been praying and thinking through the limits of knowledge, the nature of eternity, the essence of God, the Holy Spirit as a person and not as a "force", the Trinity, anthropomorphisms in general, anthropomorphisms in regards to heaven and hell, and today there has been a revelation in regards to theomorphism's and also how we can distinguish between anthropomorphisms and theomorphisms in the Bible to better under who God is.

I was listening to a class online for Covenant Theological Seminary and one of the things Dr. William's mentions is that we really only know about God from the Bible in terms of relationship and covenant. There is a TOTAL "otherness" to God that if we could grasp, we ourselves would be God.

But getting back to Dr. William's mentioning that God is known primarily through relationship and covenant...

In the past two weeks God has given me some very powerful and deep insights into who He is. With everything I have learned I find one thing the most amazing. It is perhaps the deepest thing I know about God: His grace.

I have been powerfully convinced and convicted that without Christ I have absolutely nothing. God owes me nothing and everything that I have, I have only because He has first given it to me. I deserve to die a million deaths and burn forever in hell because of how I have lived. I continually sin against the LORD in thought, word, and deed both by what I have done and what I have left undone. I cannot do ANYTHING without Him.

I have felt the powerful revelation of His grace covering me and knowing that grace is truly something that is freely given to us by God. God could have not created the world and He would be fine; He lacks nothing. But He has chosen to freely give us His Son before the world even began and called me into a covenant with Him. He has not only called me into Covenant, 1 Peter tells me that He is KEEPING me in covenant with Him as well until the ages end.

God has revealed to me that He loves us so much and that we are so undeserving of that love. Perhaps us not deserving it makes it that much better; or rather, perhaps knowing that we don't deserve His love makes it that much better.

I cannot really say all that the LORD is doing in a perspicuous manner, but I pray that He continues to reveal who He is to me in deep life-changing ways and that His Church experiences this as well. We, the Church, need a deeper understanding of who God is.

A lot of times it seems that "God has made man in His image and now man is returning the favor." Brothers and Sisters, this will never do. We need to encounter the Living God. Without His revelation, we have no hope.

May God richly bless you with eyes to see and ears to hear this day and may He continue to sustain you in His Grace that was given to us in Christ Jesus. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment